Here’s your Fri-Sun list of what to do and where to do it.
by LeeAnn Mailly, NyackNewsAndViews.com
- It’s the First Friday of November and Nyack’s monthly one-night downtown arts festival includes a group show titled Relationships plus live music at 8p at Prohibition River, 82 Main St. Head to the after-party for percussive world music and dance at 9p at Casa del Sol, 104 Main St. An artist reception for Chris Dabagian starts at 6p at Edward Hopper House, 82 N. Broadway. Presented by the Nyack Art Collective at various venues throughout downtown from 6-8p.
- Celebrate the centennial for the revered social justice organization the Fellowship of Reconciliation. The evening includes a wine and cheese reception, the debut screening of a 25-minute Centennial Film at 6:30p and the unveiling of the Tower for Peace. 5:30p at Fellowship of Reconciliation, 521 N. Broadway, Nyack.
- The Children’s Shakespeare Theatre presentsRosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. Fri & Sat at 7p at Children’s Shakespeare Theatre, 32 Old Tappan Rd, Tappan.
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents Macabre MurderMysteries, three one-act plays by the master of macabre, murder and mystery. Fri & Sat at 8p atNyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St.
- Attend the opening reception for works by and Michael Garber. Falk’s expressive paintings are those of the natural world and Garber is drawn to landscapes as they are transformed by changing light. Music by pianist Yashar Yaslowitz. 2-5p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- Union Arts Center throws an autumn rockabilly dance party featuring Finn and the Sharks. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. 7:30p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union St, Sparkill.
- The River Skye Band performs at 7:30p at Bourbon St, 132 Main St.
- The Burr Johnson Trio entertains with a blend of jazz, funk, blues, and rock. 1:30p at Valley Cottage Library, 110 NY-303.
- Sparkill Salon Concerts presents pianist Magdalena Baczewska as she explores the music of Italian masters who developed the art of the piano. 3-5p at Union Arts Center, 2 Union Ave, Sparkill.
- Don’t miss Zephyr Teachout speaking on Climate Change Solutions as well as live music by Bethany and Rufus and a mock variety show called A Solar Home Companion. 3p at Temple Israel Center, 280 Old Mamaroneck Rd, White Plains.
- The Historical Society of the Nyacks’ Fall exhibition features the photographs of the construction of the original Tappan Zee Bridge taken between 1952 – 1955 by Leonard Cooke of Nyack. Exhibit runs every Sunday through Nov 29. 1p at 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
Dine in the Nyack area during Fall Hudson Valley Restaurant Week and take advantage of prix-fixe menus at a discounted price. $20.95 lunch; $29.95 dinner. Participating Nyack restaurants include Two Spear Street, 8 North Broadway, Broadway Bistro, Hudson House, Prohibition River, Sour Kraut, Velo Bistro Wine Bar and Wasabi.
The Arts Council of Rockland invites you to join Bill Batson and Janey Tannenbaum forIdea City, a discussion for artists and those who love the arts on how to enhance and expand the cultural community. 6:30-8p at Nyack Boat Club, 59 Gedney St, Nyack. Light refreshments will be served.
The Nyack Weekender is published every Friday in collaboration with Nyack News & Views — Nyack’s #1 source for local news and information.