Brain Day at NKI!
August 23, 2017 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pmFree
Free family event with fun activities for all ages!
Come to BRAIN DAY at the Nathan Kline Institute in Orangeburg, NY. Learn all about the brain and touch a real human brain! Play brain games! Go on a tour of the state-of-the-art Brain Imaging Suite and talk to researchers about careers in brain science. Hear talks by experts in brain science and mental health. Learn how you can contribute to brain research. Resources for parents and teachers and complimentary refreshments provided. All ages welcome.
The talks take place in one room and the activities are in another. The activities area is open and accessible all day. We have tours of our brain imaging suite where people can see how our research team safely takes pictures of the brain. Brain imaging researchers will be on hand to discuss the process from the physics of the machine to the details of what it is like to lie down and take a picture of one’s own brain.
Here are some of the activities:
- View and touch human brain specimens (with gloves!) and learn about brain anatomy.
- For the younger set, make neurons out of pipe cleaners, solve brain puzzles on paper,
and color illustrations of brains and neurons.
- See and hear visual and auditory illusions that demonstrate about how the brain is organized.
- Participate in a distracted driving simulation that demonstrates the dangers of trying to multitask on the road and teaches why this is a cognitive challenge.
- Experience the power of automatic behaviors (like reading) and learn how scientists measure the ability to override those automatic behaviors with a simple color naming test.
- Talk to research scientists about careers in brain science and how you can contribute to research.
9:30 Doors open
10:00 – 10:15 Welcome to NKI by Kristin Dietz Trautman, LCSW
10:15 – 11:00 How We Study the Brain and What We Know by Michael Milham, MD PhD
11:00 – 12:30 Tours of Research Areas and Brain Imaging Suite
1:00 End of event
Reservations are recommended for all events.
Call (845) 398-2666 or email RocklandSample@nki.RFMH.org.
Nathan Kline Institute 35 Third Ave (off Old Orangeburg Rd.) Orangeburg, NY 10962