The Nyack Library aims to provide all members of its community with the materials and the professional, caring staff assistance they need to help them gain knowledge, broaden their lives, and fulfill their cultural, intellectual, educational, and recreational needs.
The Library puts special emphasis on providing timely and accurate information; on meeting recreational needs with current, high-interest materials in a variety of formats; and on stimulating children's and young adult's appreciation of reading and learning.
The Library promotes free and open access to its collections and resources to every member of the community.
The Nyack Library is a free association library located in the village of Nyack in New York State. Established in 1879, The Nyack Library serves the residents of Nyack, Upper Nyack, South Nyack, Grand View, and Valley Cottage. In 1890, the library was incorporated and on June 5, 1894, it was entered under the New York State Board of Regents, by which means it received state aid.
In March 1901 the Trustees of the Nyack Library decided to petition Andrew Carnegie for funds for a library building. On December 21, 1901, Andrew Carnegie offered to give $15,000 for the erection of a library building in Nyack, if the village provided a suitable site and pledged by resolution to support the library with no less than $1,500 a year. On January 6, 1902, trustees of the library appeared before the Nyack village board to ask for an increase in funding by $187.50; the village had already been funding the library with $750 a year from 1894 - 1902. The new total was 937.50 annually. Carnegie offered to donate 15,000 for a building on the condition that the Nyack community raise not less than 1,500 annually.
The cornerstone for the new building was laid on May 21, 1903. The public reception for the opening of the new building was held on January 16, 1904. The total cost of the library was $15,597, almost $600 more than the gift of Andrew Carnegie. The cost of the furniture for the building was $950. The architects were the Emery Brothers and Mr. J. B. Simonson. The mason contractor was John M. Rooney. The carpentry was done by E.H. DeBaun. Plumbing and gas fitting was done by A.L. Henry. Painting and decorating was done by Hill and Hubbell. The library expanded in 1973, 1993, and 2010. The grand opening of the renovated Carnegie building and the new wing was on May 7, 2011.
Digital services are available 24/7 through:
Library Events Calendar: https://www.nyacklibrary.org/eventscalendar.html#/events/