by LeeAnn Mailly
A little wintry weather can’t slow down this town! Elmwood Playhouse stages the classic comedy Harvey while Antrim Playhouse entertains with Unnecessary Farce. On Saturday, the broadway stars light up Nyack with Neil Berg’s Broadway and Baseball for Kids andPianomen. Get in touch with your creative side at Rivertown’s Pecha Kucha Fundraiser or bring the family and enjoy ArtsRock’s Puppet Festival. Here’s your rundown of what to do and where to do it.
- Elmwood Playhouse presents Harvey, a classic comedy about a kind hearted, middle-aged eccentric whose best friend is an invisible mythological creature resembling a six-foot tall rabbit. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p. Elmwood Playhouse, 10 Park St, Nyack.
- Two cops. Three crooks. Eight doors. Go.Unnecessary Farce is an award-winning stage comedy by Paul Slade Smith that combines all the elements of classic farce with a contemporary American plot. Fri & Sat at 8p, Sun at 2p. Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Rd, Suffern.
- The Historical Society of Rockland invites the public to Lasting Legacies 1915: The 40th Holiday Exhibition. Part I, Happy 100th Birthday, Raggedy Ann, celebrates the beloved character while part II, A 1915 Congers Christmas, re-creates a parlor setting decorated for the holidays circa 1915. Wed-Fri 12- 4p, Sun 12-4p at HSRC, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Bear Mountain Ice Rink is open for the winter! Adults $5, children (ages 4-22) $4. Checkwebsite for holiday hours. Bear Mountain Ice Rink, Bear Mountain State Park, Palisades Interstate Parkway.
- Window shopping in Nyack takes on a whole new meaning from now through Jan 31. The Nyack Window Project pairs visual artists with local landlords to create original installations in downtown storefront windows, a project conceived by award-winning set designer and Nyack resident Joanne Howard. Exhibits on Main St and Broadway in Nyack.
- Don’t miss Broadway and Baseball for Kids, a concert that features Broadway’s greatest stars singing for kids! Check out the star-studded line-up and purchase tickets to benefit theNyack-Valley Cottage Little League. 1-2:30p at Nyack High School, 360 Christian Herald Rd.
- Neil Berg’s Pianomen pays an intimate tribute to the compositions and songwriting of two of the most iconic composers of the 20th Century – Billy Joel and Elton John. Tickets sold benefit the Nyack-Valley Cottage Little League. 7p at Nyack High School, 360 Christian Herald Rd.
- Attend Dare 2 Dream, a Martin Luther King Unity Weekend Award Ceremony and live show featuring a performance by Gyptian. Tickets are $35. Doors open at 5p at Rockland Community College’s Cultural Arts Center, 145 College Rd, Suffern.
- Local favorite, River Skye Band, performs pop favorites and originals. 10p at Brickhouse, 20 S Broadway, Nyack.
- Edward Hopper House Annual Members Exhibition features William Rauschenbergwho was an Artist Member of the Month. His recent series, In Shadow, an exploration of Edward Hopper’s themes, is on display. 5-7p at Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway.
- Rivertown Film presents their second annual what-inspires-you fundraiser. Known as a Pecha Kucha, a Japanese term for the sound of conversation (chit-chat), these events were originally conceived as a setting where creative people could meet, show their work, and exchange ideas. The engaging result is a self-narrated presentation of what inspires them with 20 slides, at 20 seconds per slide. Mistress of Ceremonies: Rosie O’Donnell. 7:30p at Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
- Come join us for A Night of Classic R&B from the 60’s to 80’s and beyond. First show at 7p, second show at 9p. Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main St.
- Does your family love puppets, puppets and more puppets? Rick Lyon fromSesame Street and Avenue Q will perform The Magic Orange, a fractured fairy-tale about a poor farm boy trying to make his dream come true. Local Puppet Masters Skye Leith and Jill Liflander will also make an appearance. After the puppet show, the concert hall transforms so children can make puppets and try out their own skills! Recommended ages 1 – 10 years old. Buy tickets online. 3p at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
- The Young Masters Recital Series features Joseph
Hauer, a classical pianist who performs Beethoven, Kapustin, Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky. 1:30 – 3:30p at Valley Cottage Library, 110 NY-303, Valley Cottage.
- See the exhibit of Nyack artist William Bruckner. On display each Sun from 1-4p through Feb. Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Ave, Nyack.
Beardcomb performs hits from the Beatles, Blondie, Beastie Boys and more. 9p at O’Malley’s, 108 Main St, Nyack.
The Nyack Weekender is published every Friday in collaboration with Nyack News & Views — Nyack’s #1 source for local news and information.
Get the Nyack Weekender delivered to your inbox every Friday morning. Add your name to Nyack News & Views mail list to get this weekly guide to weekend events. Visit their online sign-up sheet to subscribe