by LeeAnn Mailly
The last weekend in August features art on Main Street and Broadway and in Piermont and Pomona. You can dance salsa at the West Gate Lounge and hear Beethoven and Chopin in Spring Valley or catch some live theatre at Antrim and Penguin Rep. Here’s your Fri-Sun rundown of what to do and where to do it.
- Joyce Kanyuk presents her solo exhibition, Moments In Watercolor, from 1-9p. Exhibit runs through Sept 13 at Piermont Fine Arts Gallery Inc, 218 Ash St, Piermont.
- Mark St. Germain’s comedy,Becoming Dr. Ruth, is at Penguin Rep Theatre on Fri and Sat. Many know Dr. Ruth Westheimer from her career on radio and TV but few know the incredible journey that preceded it. Fri at 2 & 8p, Sat at 4 & 8p & Sun at 2p. 7 Cricketown Rd, Stony Point.
- Attend a coming and going party for local artist Tony Ziegler. See and purchase clothes, art supplies and artwork. 2-5p at 203 Main St, Nyack.
- Last chance for a Family Lobster and Steak Bake. Party with the Linc Carnival Reggae Band while kids have fun on the bounce castle. Horse shoes, bocce, volleyball, basketball and playground equipment available for use. 6-10p at Platzl Brauhaus, 127 Call Hollow Rd, Pomona.
- Take a rollicking romp through 16th century England at the New York Renaissance Faire! Costumed characters, dancers, strolling minstrels, storytellers and magicians amuse you while you visit the marketplace of period crafts. Faire runs every Sat & Sun 10a-7p through 9/27 at Sterling Forest at Tuxedo Park, 600 Route 17A.
- Check out the new exhibit, Behind Doors and Through Windows: Reflections on Contemporary Domestic Life. Opening reception 5-7p, runs through Oct 18. Edward Hopper House Art Center, 82 N Broadway, Nyack.
- Antrim Players presents Nyack’s Peter Danish performing a special reading of his new play Herb & Lenny about the rivalry between conductors Herbert Von Karajan and Leonard Bernstein. 8-10p at Antrim Playhouse, 15 Spook Rock Rd, Wesley Hills.
- Enjoy Saturday Night Salsa with Pete Nater. Dance lessons at 8p, and the band starts at 11p at West Gate Lounge at Best Western, 26 Route 59, Nyack.
- Twinvision, a photo exhibit by Alicia Crowe, opens at Nyack Library at 59 S Broadway.
- In Chopin Meets Beethoven, pianist Ola Sergatchov explores what might have happened had these two great composers actually met. You are invited to hear the story and listen to their famous compositions. 2-3:30p at Finkelstein Memorial Library, 24 Chestnut St, Spring Valley.
Local author and licensed Israel tour guide,Julie Baretz takes you on a journey through her new book, The Bible on Location: Off the Beaten Path in Ancient and Modern Israel. 7p at Nyack Public Library,
- Join the laughs at Comedy Night from 7-9p at Olive’s, 118 Main St, Nyack.
- Check out the Havestraw Summer Concert Series. This week, the Soul Groove Bandplays the best pop, dance, R & B, and soul hits of the past four decades. 7:30p at Bowline Park at 1 Bowline Plant Road, Haverstraw.
The Nyack Weekender is published every Friday in collaboration with Nyack News & Views — Nyack’s #1 source for local news and information.