by LeeAnn Mailly, Nyack News & Views
Here’s your Fri-Sun rundown of what to do and where to do it.
- Skate at Ramapo or Bear Mountain all weekend. Ramapo Ice Park at Provident Bank Park in Pomona has skating sessions on Fri & Sat from 12n-10p and on Sun from 12n-9m. Bear Mountain Ice Rink is open to the public from 10a-9:30p, Fri-Sun.
- Sugar Glider + Tigerlily play at Olive’s. 9:30p, 118 Main St in Nyack.
- Regret the Hour play at Prohibition River. 10p-1a, 82 Main St in Nyack.
- Toys Of The Past: Our Childhood Memories. The dolls & dollhouses, stuffed animals, puppets, children’s books, games, toy soldiers, model cars, trucks, planes and trains enjoyed by children prior to 1955. Saturdays through February from 1-4p, The Historical Society of the Nyacks, 50 Piermont Avenue.
- Hudson Valley’s Tastemaker Ned Kelly curates “Pretty Paper,” including paper in many forms—such as holiday cards by the beloved Rockland artist Robert Burghardt, charming antique paper dolls, and more. Also: The Joys of Toys: a lighthearted look back at the 1960s and 1970s, including Barbie dolls from 1965 to today. Sat-Sun 12n-4p through Jan 11. Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Rd, New City.
- Chinese Coffee, a tragic comedy that explores the nature of friendship (through Jan. 31). 8p, Nyack Village Theatre, 94 Main Street, Nyack.
- Nyack SnowFlake 5K Run/Walk is a flat (with one hill) out and back to Nyack Beach State Park. All proceeds to benefit the Nyack Community Ambulance Corps. 10a-12, 251 N Midland Ave. Signup online at SnowFlake 5K Run/Walk.
- Vocalists Marigene Kettler and Shirley Crabbe perform at a free holiday concert to celebrate the memory of formerRockland Conservatory of Musicteacher Julia May. 3p, 45 South Main Street, Pearl River.
Book/zine signing and in-store performance at Nyack’s new record store, the Kiam Records Shop, by James McNew of Yo La Tengo and Dump at 3p. Kiam Records is located at 95 Main Street. James’ zine is called 100 Wild Styles – it’s the first in a three-part series of zines of his drawings. 100 Wild Styles is a limited, numbered run of 250. Every issue is handmade by James and comes with a sticker!
Kid’s New Year’s concert with The Bossy Frog Band, featuring a banjo, a hula hooping fiddler and dancing costume characters. Following the show kids can try out musical instruments for themselves. Milk and cookies will be served. Presented by ArtsRock, 11a at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Ave.
“The Weekender” is published every Friday in collaboration with Nyack News & Views — Nyack’s #1 source for local news and information.